Happy Birthday, I have cancer.


 Wednesday, October 28th, 2020, was Thorsen’s 7th birthday and the day I found out that I have breast cancer. It amazes me how quickly I went from feeling mostly healthy to picturing what my family would look like without me and wondering how much my kids would remember me. 

The Wednesday before I went in for a check up and asked about a lump I had found which lead to a mammogram the following Monday, a biopsy on Tuesday and a cancer diagnosis on Wednesday. One week was all it took to completely change my thoughts and plans for the future. It’s been a whirlwind of events as they are moving quickly to get me into treatment. I had an MRI on Friday and we meet Tuesday, November 3rd, with an oncology surgeon. At this time I don’t know much about my cancer or what treatment will look like. I know I have invasive ductal carcinoma and it’s in my breast and lymph nodes. I’m assuming I will get the full gamut of treatments, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and hormone therapy. 

I know we have wonderful family and friends who will help us through this. I know that God is good even when circumstances suck. I’m trying to be hopeful knowing that beast cancer isn’t the death sentence it once was. But I’m also freaked out about how I’ll do chemotherapy in the middle of a pandemic with young kids. I’m feeling whiplash between thankfulness and lament because life feels very full of both. 

Comments

  1. You have been covered in prayer since we first heard the news from L. Our hearts , thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for sharing your journey, it will be therapeutic as well as help us know how best to pray for you. Not to mention time saving so you don’t have to continually repeat yourself!
    How well I remember when the Big C entered our lives with my husbands diagnosis. The floor beneath us fell away. The old was forever gone. Yet new normals were defined. Several times. And we learned to look for Gods fingerprints - they are all around you! God is with you and will bring you through this! ❤️ Lori Hays

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so sorry about this Amanda. I am praying for you right now and regularly - that your cancer care team would be wise and that the treatment course you choose with them would be incredibly effective, and also that you would be able to tangibly feel God holding you and your family near during both times of thankfulness and lament.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda--I'm SO sorry to hear this news. Thank you for sharing it with us and for your vulnerability. Praying for you and your family, as well as your team of physicians, as you begin this journey. If you need someone to help out with the kids, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry to hear this news too Amanda. I remember as if like yesterday when I got that call- it's C..... you kinda don’t hear anything after that. Was kind of brought back to it today actually as I went for a scan of a lymph node. May Jesus be bringing the calm and warmth of His peace as you hear and do nexts steps. I’m glad you are sharing how you’re feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been praying for you and your family, asking God to remove it and to fill your hearts with trust and peace. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so heartbroken to learn about this, Amanda! My prayer is that you will be overwhelmed with joy and gratitude as God provides you with an army of people that love you and will help carry you through this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not the update I wanted

Still alive!

Too much fun to stop!!