The schedule 11/8-16

 Here's the schedule from now until my first infusion. I wanted to give an overview so you know what our week is looking like a how to pray for us.

Monday, November 8th, I’m having a small surgery in the morning to place a port.  When it’s done, I’ll have a small bump under my right clavicle where they’ll have quick and easy access to my veinous system. They’ll use the port to take blood samples when needed and it’s where I’ll receive all of my infusions. To be honest, I’m completely grossed out by the idea of having this tube thing running directly into my vein, so I’ve tried not to google it too much. It should only be painful while it’s healing, and hopefully it will make life easier for me through treatment. The biggest win for me is that I won’t have tubes in my arms during infusions so my hands will be free to knit!

Tuesday, I’m scheduled for an echocardiogram. There is a small risk that the chemo could damage important organs like my heart and liver. The purpose of this echocardiogram is to get a baseline on my heart now, so they can compare and monitor my heart function throughout chemo. They’ve also run some bloodwork for the same purpose. 

Wednesday, I have a chemo teaching session. This is a hourlong download of all the info I need to know before I get my first infusion. Along with the actual chemo drugs, I’ll be prescribed another army of drugs to mittigate the side effects of the chemo. I’ll have steroids to keep my energy up and stool softeners to combat the constipation those steroids induce. I’ll have a patch to deliver medicine to increase my white blood cells, but then I’ll experience diarrhea. Doesn’t it sound like a roller coaster of fun? The teaching session will help me to know when to take the right medicines, what  side effects to expect and what would warrant a call to my oncologist. I’m so thankful for the wealth of knowledge doctors have now to make chemo as manageable and easy as possible. 

Thursday, I’ll have an MRI guided biopsy of a second suspicious spot on my breast. If this spot is cancerous I will for sure have a mastectomy when it comes time for surgery. There are still a lot of questions I need answered before I make the decision between mastectomy and lumpectomy, but I would like to keep that option open. Please pray that we don’t discover cancer in this spot and for my comfort during the MRI. I have to lay on my stomach during the MRI and it’s possible that my newly placed port will still be tender. 

And finally the big infusion day!! My first of six infusions is scheduled for 7am, Monday, the 16th. The infusion lasts for 5hrs, so I’ll likely be at the hospital for 6ish hours. Due to covid, I’ll be going it alone and wearing a mask the whole time. I have mixed feelings about these circumstances, but I’m going to make the most of it with knitting and Netflix. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing so much Amanda! We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These details are so helpful in praying specifically for your days. You're approaching this with the same gusto you approach life - i love it. And shit, that's a lot of poop management. :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the update, lady. On a gray day like today I like to remember the times I've gotten to fly somewhere in an airplane and you break through this pervasive, misty Gray to devastatingly clear blue sunny skies above. You don't see it from the ground. I feel like there's something in your situation that's like that and I'm praying for, if not a glimpse of the Sun and blue skies, a sure knowledge that they're there behind the gray. 🧡

      Delete
  3. It's so good to know how to pray, Amanda. Please keep us updated as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all so helpful, Amanda. Praying for you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am covering you in prayer my beauty! Prayer prayer prayer!!! Thank you for the wonderful updates...it really helps to know how to advocate for you specifically in front of the throne of our Father. (Although we already have an Advocate, "...the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." Romans 8:26). You are so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi girl! I am so thankful for this blog so that we can be following your story and praying for you. Thank you for taking the time to keep us posted. We are praying for you and we LOVE you so much!!! ❤️ Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also! If you want Netflix recommendations, we are watching the Queen’s Gambit and it is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing Amanda! Love you and miss you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not the update I wanted

Still alive!

Too much fun to stop!!